Old 29-04-2005, 02:08 AM
PatK

Timothy wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:47:05 -0400, PatK wrote:

I was wondering if there's something safe that I could use to get rid of
gnats around my houseplants? They seem to be all over the soil on a couple
of my plants. I also have cats and a dog and didn't want to use something
that might be harmful to them. (or me!) Oh and, any ideas what might be
causing this?

Thanks,
Pat

Good day Pat. I would recommend safers insecticidal soap, yellow sticky
traps or diamatious earth. You should be able to find these at most
nurseries.

Gnats are fungus eaters. Sometimes overwatering can casuse the fungus
growth or it could of come in with the potting soil itself. The yellow
traps should work ok. This will attract them to the card and they get
stuck. The safers soap is a potassium salt?.. and it's very safe to use
around you and the pets. You will need to treat for a few days/weeks.
Diamatious earth is a product that you put on the top of the soil in your
pots. As the insects come out of the soil, the diamatious earth shreds
them to bits. If you place sand in the top in the pots, this may work also.

Good luck...

I didn't know they were fungus eaters. I can see some green stuff
growing on the dirt in the pot. That's probably it. Thanks!

Pat