Old 28-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Kenni Judd

So why don't people think that, say, Pothos, are "difficult"? They take a
lot more maintenance than most orchids ... Kenni

"Xi Wang" wrote in message
I too have had similar experiences. I think in part though, it's due to
the fact that a lot of people just don't do their homework as well.
Orchids are easy, but only if you put _some_ effort into it, and learn
about their culture. Commonly, a person buys an orchid from HD or
Wal-mart...etc, over waters, kills the thing, and never bothers to find
out more, and then just go on to assume, based on that sole experience,
that orchids are hard to care for, and that they suck at it. In time
this will change, but it will be a long time I imagine.

I can't remember where, but I heard an anecdote one time which was
something along the lines of one has to kill 100+ orchids before
becoming good at caring for them, and getting the hang of things. That
number may be a tad high, but even if it was 10 orchids, well, during
that time, the owner is probably thinking with each death how futile it
is for them.

Cheers,
Xi