Old 28-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Mike

"tom" wrote in message
A very kind farmer has just delivered me 2 tonnes or top soil but has
said he's also mixed in some 1/2 tonne of chicken sh*t.

Having read an article on how strong it is i am frightened of putting
it on the garden straight away, but its on my drive & does smell a
bit.

I wished now he'd not mixed it in with the top soil as I could have
then just mixed the poo in with my compost bin soil and let it
decompose a bit first.

Other than put it straight on the soil should I mix the whole lot in
with the compost bin soil?

This depends on where it has come from. If it is from the scrapings from
under perches or cages, it will be very strong and raw!!.

However if your Farmer friend has Deep Litter Houses and it is mixed with
this, then the problem is not too bad because this will be mixed with the
deep litter, which in my case when I had chickens, was sawdust and shavings
and we put it straight on the gardens, and sold a lot :-)) You get a lot out
when you clear an 80 ft x 20 ft deep litter house :-))

Mike