Old 29-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Elaine T

Default How do I stabilize bogwood?

I'm setting up a 15gal tall replacement for my 5 gallon tank. It's a
very tall Oceanic Eclipse tank (20"x10"x20" high) and I thought an
asymmetric V shape with two pieces of plant-covered bogwood would make a
beautiful Amano style setup. I've found two pieces of long, 3" wood but
they're rather heavy and difficult to prop in place to make the V. I'm
afraid they'll fall and break the glass.

My first thought was to silicone them to the glass, but they'll be hard
to clean around. Burying the ends in the substrate might work, but I'm
not sure enough to risk the glass trying it. I would use rocks at the
base of the wood in a bigger tank but I don't want to lose any more
substrate room, because I want heavy plantings. My favorite thought so
far is to support the wood with a plexiglass rod, concealed in
plantings. I could drill into the high end of the wood and set a
vertical rod in the wood that would sit on the bottom of the tank and
support the wood to keep it from sliding down. Does this sound workable?

Has anyone tried to arrange bogwood propped at sharp angles against tank
glass? How did you do it? I'm open to all ideas because I'm not sure I
like any of mine.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__