Old 29-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Lyle

tom wrote:
It may depend on what you meant to do with the topsoil. What was

the
plan? (But I wouldn't dilute the compost you've made.)

The plan is to put the topsoil on the graden around the plants, on

top
of the current soil.

It depends how much, of course, but I don't think you can do that, as
a rule. The trouble is the plants are probably at the depth they like
best, and raising the soil level around them could weaken or kill
them. With most plants, if you want to raise the soil more than a
little I'd want to dig them out and put them back when you've
established the new level.

--
Mike.