Old 29-04-2005, 05:15 PM
John

Default Advice on shipping orchids

We are relocating cross-country to Florida late this year and in
exchange for the promise of a greenhouse my husband has agreed to
dispose of his current orchid collection - about 30 plants. He's going
to try to sell some of them on eBay in the next six months. They are
mostly Cattleyas, and Epidendrums, including a couple of compots
(unflasked just over year ago), 2" x 2" squares, and 6" round
containers.

I was wondering if anyone has advice on packing materials and methods
for orchid shipping to keep them intact and in good shape:
1) General advice
2) How to protect new and tender growth, including emerging sheaths and
aerial roots (nothing's in bloom or spike right now)
3) How to handle tall leaves and perpendicular growing leaves (18-24"
tall or wide in some cases).

I may have mixed up some of the terminology since I'm new to orchids,
but I am really beginning to like growing them.

Cyndi