Old 29-04-2005, 08:06 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Hmmm. I have a reef tank, and everything I've ever read about protein
skimmers
(I have two different ones) says that they don't work with fresh water. I
haven't actually attempted to use one this way so I am just going by what
I have
read. Something about the surface tension being to low in freshwater.
Now, if the water was really fouled up, it might work for a while.

Everything you will read about protein skimmers says they're not nearly as
effective in fresh water. That doesn't mean they don't work. Think about
it. We've all seen foam at the bottom of water falls - often in cleaner
water than we have in our ponds. Steve Meyer, who wrote about pond fish
for years in AFM magazine swears by them for ponds.
--
derek