Old 29-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Mike Lyle

mike. buckley wrote:
[...]
One of my rhubarb plants has flowered this year, I planted 6 as

seeds
last year and only this one has flowered. As I want decent rhubarb
(for wine) I've chopped the stem off, as apparently after
flowering/seeding the plants don't recover/perform very well.

Fascinating: rhubarb from seed is variable and sometimes
disappointing (I've done it), but I'm much impressed by a form which
will flower so young. If space is at a premium, I'd get rid of it
altogether, as I doubt if this sex-crazed youngster will ever give
you good crops. If there's space, I might keep it for fun, perhaps
moving it to a flower-bed.

--
Mike.