Old 30-04-2005, 01:58 AM
~Roy~

MOst of the more commn ducks are not fish eaters.....mallards, pekins,
wood and call ducks etc do not bother fish. They just make a mess.
All ducks like to dive under the water for fun and also as an aide to
cleaning, so what you saw was not ducks going after a fish, but ducks
having some fun or getting a bath.........They can add a heap to your
nitrate levels and also ammonia and phosphorus levels in a pond in a
short time.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:04:14 -0400, "Tom Puskar"
wrote:

===This may sound like a silly question, but do ducks eat goldfish?
===
===I had two (a matins pail, I think) ducks visit our yard this afternoon.
===They dined for a while on the droppings from my bird feeders. then they
===spotted my pond and decided to take a swim. They dived down but I didn't
===see them come up with any fish. The pond has about 20 gold fish and its a
===regular preform about 18 inches deep.
===
===I enjoyed watching the ducks but don't want them eating my fish. Should I
===encourage them to stop by or scare them away? They didn't seem to scared on
===my 100 lb dog who found them to be a curiosity. They didn't fly away until
===he got about 15 feet away.
===
===Any comments?
===