Old 29-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Peter Stockdale wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Perfect logic, but the fact remains that there isn't a glue for
poly[ethyl]ene, which isn't a million miles different from ptfe, the
non-stick frying-pan stuff. It's always joined by welding. The
problem is, I think, that the adhesives on gaffer tape and such-like,
while they will stick well to polythene till they dry out a few years
later, can't be applied in amateur conditions.

Yup -but we are talking about repair -not construction.
A repair using the proper tape will outlast the useful life of the poly
sheet.

But would have been impossible.

Given two edges 12" apart, taping it up just isn't going to work.
Lacing it up, and drawing the edges together worked well.
However, the proper tape does well with intermittent loads, but will creep
off the joint if it's under constant tension.