Old 30-04-2005, 08:41 AM
David Hare-Scott

"katrina" wrote in message
Hi wondering what srubs/trees make good windbreaks.I live in Rockhampton

I suggest that you consult one of the books that list native trees/shrubs
according to their needs. The things to consider a

- general climate
- rainfall
- drainage
- soil
- frost hardiness.

One such book is "Grow what Tree " by the Australian Plant Study Group,
there are others, try the local library. The idea is to pick plants that
are well suited to your area that are attractive and economical. Obviously
species that will not need constant watering and attention are advanatgeous
unless you have plenty of time and energy. Tube stock is the cheapest and
best in the long run as they will tend to catch up to more advanced
specimens and cost a small fraction of the price. Around here the best
supplier is the State Forestry Department - I don't know if they do this in
QLD

To effectively break wind you need 4 or 5 rows at suitable distances apart
for the species (or a diet of beans). Don't make the break too short or the
wind will just go round the ends and make the centre rows taller trees and
the outside rows shorter trees or shrubs. Another idea is to plant rows
somewhat at random spacing. So instead of exactly (say) 4m apart try random
distances between 3m and 5m apart. This will look more natural and if one
or two fail (which they will) nobody will notice.

I don't know much about Rockhampton so I cannot make specific
recommendations.

David