Old 30-04-2005, 01:52 PM
David Bockman

"BE" wrote in
nk.net:

Howdy, I'm in western NJ (Hunterdon County) and have a small, not
quite sure what type Maple tree that has at times, (last fall most
recent,) fallen prey to male deers, (rubbed.)

I've posted some pics he http://www.pbase.com/hiker/tree

Is this something I need to treat? If so how/what to do?

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback.

Ouchie. Not a whole lot you can do, really. It's best to just leave it be
and hope it will callous over in time. If deer are still browsing in your
area you can wrap the lower trunk in 'hardware cloth' or chickenwire,
leaving some room of course between the barrier and the trunk. Most garden
centers/Bloated Orange Retail Groupings have 'deer barrier' which is a
plastic shielding with which you wrap the lower trunk.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums