Old 30-04-2005, 05:15 PM
J Fortuna

Dave,

Yes, I know Rob's Rules. But surely I can't get only one more? It's more and
more frequent that I buy orchids three at a time, and I am not sure that
there will always be room for three more, especially the big ones: one of
the three that I bought at the New York show in April is in a 5 inch pot,
leaf span of 21 inches, height of spikes about 30 inches. It's one of those
multi-floral Phals with a cloud of small pink blossoms on a myriad of
branches. Now if I keep being attracted to such large plants, and keep
buying 3 orchids at a time, surely some day I will be in big trouble. It is
gorgeous though.

Joanna

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
Joanna, I am failing to see a problem here lass ;-)

Remember as one of the others has in his signature line "There is
always room for one more"

Dave

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:43:34 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

Correction: I have only 6 Paphs, now surely that cannot possibly be

enough?
I still don't have a single one of those huge paphs that look like

bullfrogs
(like Paph Winston Churchill 'Indominable' for example, wouldn't mind

having
that one, and maybe a big green Paph to go with it as well), and then

there
is that neat species paph that looks like a poisonous mushroom (white

with
black spots ... paph bellatum, that's it), oh and I wouldn't mind having

bigger pure white paph (bigger than my Paph Deception II that is), Paph
Magic Lantern is also on my list, oh and given how fond I am of my paph
malipoense, maybe a malipoense hybrid would be neat to have too. I really
liked all the paph lowii that they had at the orchid show in NY, they

look
like puppies with pink ears to me, but unfortunately David is not really

as
taken by them as I am, and so maybe I should first buy ones that we both
like.

Sigh. I need more Paphs.

Joanna, the Incorrigible

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
I am an orchid addict, trying to postpone the inevitable: another

orchid
purchase. I last bought 3 orchids on April 16th (bringing up my total

38), since then I have been

-- visiting orchid vendor's websites every day, often more than once a

day
(just Web browsing, looking very innocent)

-- thinking about the imbalance in my collection, with 29 out of the 38
orchids being Phals, and only 9 Paphs, surely I must buy 22 more Paphs

soon.

-- stopped by the local plant nursery on the way from work, telling

myself
that if they happen to have a small Paph, those don't take up almost

any
extra space and one more Paph won't be any more trouble to water, etc.

The
only thing that stopped me from buying an orchid then and there was the

fact
that not only did they not have any paphs right now, but they are now
selling orchids potted together with leafy non-orchids, and those weeds

are
likely to take away nutrients from the orchids, right? Anyway they did

not
have anything special, so I just bought a new decorative orchid pot,

and a
replacement lightbulb.

-- thinking with regret about that one orchid that I admired at one of

the
orchid vendor's at the New York show, but which I did not buy, since I

had
not looked around yet, and when I circled back, it was gone already.

-- thinking that I wish I could hold out with more orchid purchases

till
June, since in June through August fewer of my Phals will be in bloom,

and
so I will need to replenish the collection anyway, and I don't have
unlimited amounts of space in the one-and-a-half bedroom apartment that

we
live in. And surely having 17 orchids currently in bloom and 5 more in

spike
should satisfy me for the time being. But what are the odds that I will

stop
myself from another orchid purchase until then?

Does that kind of behavior sound familiar to you? Do you have

additional
orchid withdrawal symptoms that I should be watching out for? :-)

Joanna