Old 30-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Howard Neil wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Howard Neil" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

You didn't specify "poking plastic" originally. Is that what you'd do?

Yes. I use the same principle in my veg patch. I cover it with old silage
sheet and make holes with a blow lamp. The sheet melts back to produce a
hard ring and a nice clean hole to plant the veg through.

Actually that's not a bad idea - for a veg patch. I might (albeit
reluctantly) follow your example :-)

This may be a good time to ask local farmers for their used sheets. They
should now have cleared their silage and they will have to pay to have
the sheets removed. Someone offering to take a sheet off their hands for
nothing will be welcomed.

However, I think that such holes might be too large for a polytunnel lacing
repair.

You haven't seen the size of the laces. :-)

The plastic in some areas is quite degraded.
The south-east corner has perhaps 1/3 the pull-through strength of
the north-west one.