Old 30-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Dave

In article , Dave
writes

Janet Baraclough
writes
One of the rowans (birds prefer the berries of UK native ones), or
there's lovely crataegus prunifolia (a bit slower growing than rowan,
IME, but the berries last longer)

Kay writes
Of course, one way in which trees can 'benefit wildlife' is by providing
berries for birds - in which case 'long lasting berries' and
'benefitting wildlife' are slightly contradictory ;-)

Oh I don't know. I have a youngish weeping Cotoneaster (is it a
Rothschild??) which had a great number of red berries on all through
Autumn, and they were still there in January, and I noticed the
blackbirds eating them in the snowy weather through Feb. By the time the
new leaves were emerging they had all gone. Maybe they aren't that tasty
and were a food of last resort??

Kay writes
I think so. My Cotoneaster horizontalis is smothered with berries still,
but we have an awful lot of other berries around. Redcurrant,
elderberry, rowan go first, followed by crabapple, hawthorn and red
holly. Then viburnum. Now all we have left is cotoneaster, skimmia,
pernettya and yellow holly.

That reminds me, I must make efforts to cover my cherries and
gooseberries and redcurrants this year. Last year I was surprised to see
the gooseberries were being eaten, never happened before. I usually lose
the cherries at the green stage along with a lot of leaves :-((

Then if I get greengages I must watch them as they don't tell you when
they are ripe! The first fruiting a few years ago I didn't notice until
the hornets had excavated their way into quite a lot of them....
--
David