Old 01-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Dawn

Tracey Jo Legel wrote:
I love the look and smell of lilacs this time of the year, but have some
questions. The ones I usually see around here (Midwest USA zone 5) are very
sparse at the bottom. Is that the way they are supposed to be?

Yup.

You might be happier with some of the miniatures. I have two in my yard
that are only about 5-6 feet high, and they bloom just as nicely but
with limbs much lower to the ground so they look like any other bush
when not blooming.

On the other hand, I have one clump of lilac that now reaches the roof
on that side of the house and spreads a good ten feet on each side of
the main trunks and there is nothing like being underneath it when it is
blooming. In the summer it forms a wonderful cool green cave.

Dawn