Old 30-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Sacha

On 30/4/05 10:03 pm, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

Yesterday, I found a very large handsome bumble bee bumbling around
the kitchen. Vaguely, I seemed to recall someone here saying that bumble
bees don't sting. So instead of catching him in a glass, as I would a
honey bee, I gently picked him up in my hand. The bee had not read urg,
and promptly stung, though not thoroughly enough to lose his
stingerthing , before being liberated outside.

Ungrateful little b
Seek no favours from me
I won't give any wellmeaning assistance
Next time you get stuck

No need to continue the rhyme......... ;-)
Indeed they do sting. I have a tiny swelling left in my leg from a bumble
bee that stung me nearly 30 years ago. At the time, that leg swelled up to
three times its normal size, went several rather lovely shades of purple,
pink and blue and stayed that way for over six weeks. Next time I got stung
was about 9 years ago when my own honey bees attacked me and I got around
12 to 16 stings in my head, nose, waist area. My body's reaction was so
violent that my doctor warned me never to be stung again - not a comforting
or practical piece of advice! The rather sad consequence of this for me is
that I have to be very wary of gardening on sunny days and in bee-busy areas
of the garden. The only upside is that having been stung by a wasp during
an urg meet here two years ago, I know that wasps don't have the same
horrible effect!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk