Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Tumbleweed

"Sheila Richards" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Willobie" wrote in message
Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden

seems
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and

now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a

predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

You need to keep it wet where their nests are. Otherwise poison is your

only
hope.
Whats wrong with poison? You can buy little self-contained units that

ensure
only ants are affected.

--
Tumbleweed

Keeping it wet is impossible - we have a patio and rockery which both have
extreme draining. I don't want to use poison because the ants are
everywhere - I wouldn't mind them if we had a manageable number...

Willobie

You dont spray that sort of poison everywhere, you put it in a few places,
in little containers so nothing else can enter, the idea is that the ants
carry it back to the nest where it kills the queen. However, in a garden if
its a large area you are probably wasting your time anyway, you'll just have
to put up with them if you arent prepared to spray it regularily with water
to keep it wet. Just hose off the mounds as they appear.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com