Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 AM
Harry Ziman

Van I just clarify, we do not want to add any fish to the pond - only
plants.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Alex Woodward" wrote in message

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Harry Ziman" hziman at clara dot co dot uk wrote in message
. ..
We are about to install a large pond in our garden. We don't intend to
keep fish in it, but do want to keep the water clear.

The advice we have received is that we need a UV clarifier to prevent
algae formation but, as there will be no fish, there is no need for a
filter to go with it. The algae will clump together and settle to the
bottom.

However, looking here, it seems to suggest that a filter is needed -
does anyone have any experience and if so can you let us know. I don't
want to make an expensive mistake and install the wrong system.

Many thanks in advance.

Harry

Last year i installed a system with UV plus filters in it. It worked
very
well, crystal clear water but hassle to clean out the filters.
This spring, after starting it up again, I hadnt got round to putting
new
filter sponges in and I knew it would clog those up very quickly, so I
thought I'd leave it running filter-less (essentially just UV-treating
the
water) until perhaps some of the algae had been killed. The water is now
crystal clear again, no filters yet.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

The UV will help to keep the pond water clear, but it will do absolutely
nothing in ensuring that the water is healthy for fish or the majority of
wildlife to live in.

Alex

Well luckily my fish cant read so they dont know that, as they bred so
well that a year ago I had to give about 1/2 of them away (25 or so) to a
fellow URG member as it was getting too crowded. That was from maybe 6 or
so that I started with. They seem to coexist well with the frogs (35+
counted when breeding a few weeks back), and the damsel flies that live in
their as well (ok, their larvae). Plus the pond skaters and water beetles.