Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:

Dicksonia antarctica does not normally experience sustained high
temperatures - especially in winter and the growth rates achieved were
highly untypical. Some species of tree fern - especially one or two
of the Cyatheas do grow quite quickly. However, few of them are
anywhere near as hardy and are only truly reliable in mild regions or
gardens with very favourable microclimates.

Right! That is one cause of confusion. The ones that I was thinking
of were in west Cornwall. I don't grow Dicksonia antarctica, but have
seen it grow in comparable places (to Cambridge) on the continent.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.