Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
enigma

wrote in
oups.com:

I have a dug well and need to know how close to it I can
plant a new tree or shrub.

what tree or shrub? how deep is your dug well & what is the
water level?
my dug well is 18', the water level is between 12-13' (unless
it's droughty a few years in a row... then it's dry in August
g).
i have forsythia right next to the well... it was actually
covered by forsythia when i bought the house, but i cut about
3/4s of them down. looked too messy & was over shading some
peonies on the other side of the well.
don't plant willow anywhere near the well.
is your well screened/covered? if not, that needs a LOT more
priority than planting anything near it! nothing like a dead
squirrel contaminating your drinking water... (you do test
your well water every year, right?)
lee