Old 01-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Anthony W

Loki wrote:

You probably live in a dryer climate than Oregon... Here an empty steel
gas tank will rust over winter and I’ve seen many half full tanks rust
above the fuel level in storage.

Not to mention an empty fuel tank can be more dangerous than a full
one (fumes). But the rate our prices are going up, I may just store
petrol at the bank!

No fooling. I'm fortunate (or not) to have a ford V8 truck that will
eat most any gas that I put in it. I've used it to dispose of all sorts
of less than fresh gas (mixed 1/3 with 2/3 fresh.)

I won't run my 1100 Yamaha on gas more than a month old. If I don't
ride it over the winter, its gas goes into the Ford.

Another way to go would be to drain the entire fuel system then put a
few ounces of 2 stroke oil in the tank and throughly splash it around to
protect the tank from rusting. My tiller and boat motor have plastic
fuel tanks so I just store them dry.

Tony