Old 02-05-2005, 02:15 AM
John Savage

"MC" mcathomalidotcom writes:
I have a nice papaya tree that I planted 12 months ago ... the two biggest
fruit are beginning to get some orange/yellow colour to them.

I am worried that the possums will pounce on them any night now ... should I
pick them or otherwise protect them on the tree to ripen?

I recall hearing a year or more back that some Qld gardeners had discovered
that a teddy bear in the tree would give protection against possums. One
theory for why it works is that the possum, a fiercely territorial creature,
perceives that tree as already being "taken" by another possum so moves on
to forage elsewhere. Apparently in the possum world there *IS* honour among
thieves! To cover all contingencies, I'd go for a large teddy bear just in
case size does matter!