Old 02-05-2005, 04:36 AM
Barry Andrews

Right! Currently I am mowing at 4". I have tall fescue. Problem is, I
don't yet have a dense turf to crowd out the weeds. But you are probably
right, I am being impatient.

thanks,

Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:09:33 GMT, Barry Andrews wrote:

I overseeded my lawn about 5 weeks ago, and I applied a starter
fertilizer as well. The new grass has come up and I have already mowed
once. (4") The new grass looks kind of puny in a lot of places, and I
was wondering if it was too late to hit it again with fertilizer. I am
thinking that I did not apply enough the first time. I checked the soil

Underfertilized is better than overfertilized on young grass.

pH with a meter and it read 6.8, so I think that should be good. In 2-3
more weeks I want to apply a weed killer. Would it be okay to use a
fertilizer/weed killer combo, or is it too late for fertilizer?

I assume you're talking about a weed and feed sort of product. Read the
labels carefully. All I know of are NOT recommended until the seedlings are
probably 4-6 months old.

Patience, grasshopper. g If you want to do something nice for your lawn,
sharpen the mower blades and learn the correct mowing height for the grass
species in your lawn.

The very best weed control is what the weed science folks call "canopy
closure": a dense turf cut long enough (and never scalped!) that weed
seedlings don't have a chance to develop. The way you mow and how
frequently you mow can have a profound effect on your lawn's appearance.

Kay Lancaster