Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 PM

It depends on how much water you have flowing into your pond area. 40
acres of drainage will be enough for a 1 acre pond. So in other words
if the water that hits 40 acres of land drains into your pond area then
you can make a 1 acre pond. If you have 80 acres of drainage then you
can make a 2 acre pond. Most states have a limit of 100 acres of
drainage into an area before you need a permit. If you have constant
springs all you need is water that is equivalent to the output of a
garden hose. Water seeps through anything. As long as you have a
constant inflow of water you will be fine.

Check out my pond building at
http://www.wildlifereserve.org/mbuild.html

Also check out the "designing a pond" page under "thing's I've learned"

Sam

Floydster wrote:
The top 2 metres of my land are clay. Can this be used to create a

large
pond without a liner? I have 4 acres of unused farmalnd in Scotland

(very
wet, very exposed) and would like to use the land for something more
attractive. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Floyd
--