Old 02-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave Poole wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
Some species of tree fern - especially one or two
of the Cyatheas do grow quite quickly. However, few of them are
anywhere near as hardy and are only truly reliable in mild regions or
gardens with very favourable microclimates.

Right! That is one cause of confusion. The ones that I was thinking
of were in west Cornwall. I don't grow Dicksonia antarctica, but have
seen it grow in comparable places (to Cambridge) on the continent.

Nick, the fastest and most massive growing tree fern that can be grown
in very mild, sheltered spots is the 'Mamaku', 'King' or 'Black Tree
Fern' - Cyathea medullaris. Its a stunning thing and a bit of a
monster developing a very hefty black trunk, with purplish black 'leaf
stems'. ...

Thanks again. I can't remember where I saw them - one place was
Trelowarren, I don't think that Burncoose had any, but there were
others. Caerhays perhaps, but it could have been another garden.
It was a long time ago, and I don't know the species, but all those
gardens (except perhaps Burncoose) have very mild climates.

The Dicksonias I saw on the continent were all in botanic gardens,
clearly protected in the winter (some were still wrapped) and almost
certainly watered in summer. They still didn't look happy - planting
them in a Cambridge-like climate is for virtuosity not because they
are suitable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.