Old 02-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Tom Pearson" wrote in message
Hi we're new to the list and although not avid gardeners we do enjoy
spend time gardening and being in our garden. We live in
Gloucestershire in the UK

We have however been afflicted with a massive infestation of Blackfly
on the ivy surrounding our house. The situation is so bad that you can
see them crawling over the glass and it's not a good idea to even open
the windows. The infestation is spreading to other plants and the
birds that nest in the ivy seem to have given up and gone away.

Can anyone suggest a solution as we are desperate.

Charlie Markwick

Use a strong water hose, aphids drown very easily and you will reduce the
numbers substantially, encourage blue tits they will polish off the
survivors, explosions of aphid populations are usually short lived even if
you do nothing, (just about everything eats them!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk