Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Dave

Kay writes

Have you got both genders? Skimmia berries are huge and last a very long
time.

Ah now you are being technical, and as this is the first year of
flowering I can honestly say I don't know. I think the flowers are
identical on all plants, so the answer is probably no, so I am assuming
the next reply is also no chance of berries?

Kay writes

I think there is one, maybe more, varieties which are 'bisexual'.
Reevesiana?????

I have one which is male - flowers have 4 stamens - and another which is
female - you can see the obvious round female bit in the centre. And a
third which is tiny and hasn't flowered yet.

The male was here when we bought the house, living in half-barrel, so I
bought a female to go with it, and that has done wonderfully for
berries, being covered all the year round - atm, for example, it has
last season's berries and this season's flowers.

I'll go and look more carefully.....

Yes, mine seem to have four prongy bits on each flower now, with no
obviously central female bit, so it looks like no sex and no berries for
three male plants this year. Must look out a partner for them
then.......
--
David