Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Default "Snakes" on PBS

Here in Southern California, they can come out of the woodwork,
literally. Especially if you happen to live near an area that is being
developed. The bulldozers will disrupt their nests and the rattlers
scurry for shelter and shade.

Here in USDA 9B...Sunset #19, I've got two diamond backs on my 3+ acres
which slither through the ice plant next to my avocado grove in the hot
summer afternoons.

The sound of their rattlers has always reminded me of a dry leaf being
blown across the asphalt by a gentle wind...

Alain

Kudzu wrote:

Anybody watching this? How interesting. I have never been
afraid of snakes. Never. Even the poisonous ones. I raised snakes
as a kid and even let them sleep with me at night. They would come
and coil on my stomach to catch the warmth. Sometimes I got bitten,
but it never was a problem.

I noticed while watching the program tonight that when they
played the sound of a rattler, my cats responded and ran out
of the room..

Interesting.

k.