Old 02-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Hound Dog

"Ashton" wrote in message
news:Oljde.446$tp.4@fed1read04...
I live in southern Los Angeles county and am considering planting a stand
of coconut palms. I've been told that it will be a waste of time because
of the climate. I've been informed that the coconut palm is a hardiness
zone 11 and my home is in the 11 zone. However that farthest north on
record for this palm is in Newport Beach to the south and it is a single
palm that is not thriving.

What is it that makes southern California a tough area for these palms?
What part of the palm is destroyed in a cold winter? The roots? The
trunk? The crown?

Also, does anyone have any tips that I could try in the winter that might
help keep them alive? I've read the book "Palms won't grow here and other
myths," but it doesn't discuss the coconut palm. Are there certain
varieties that are more cold hardy?

Thanks for any help.

Ashto

Several years ago I lived on a street in L.A. that was lined with date
palms.

Even though the dates were tiny compared to coconuts, when they fell they
could do a lot of damage to any cars that were passing by or just parked
below. It also hurt like hell if you got hit by one that fell from the tree
or got catapulted by a lawn mower.

Palm trees might look nice at first, but after living with them for a while,
you discover what a real nuisance they can be.