Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Horseradish harvesting/growing recommendations

I planted Horseradish last year but I read differnet info on
harvesting. I read you can harvest in fall and overwinter in a
basement for early spring planting or harvest in early spring.

I opted for early spring since I don't have a basement and didn't want
to risk killing the roots. I want to harvest it now--although it is
growing quickly. I read you should harvest it when it is less than 8
inches high.

Do you harevst a particular part? Do you replant the tip and keep the
root closest to the top, or keep younger ends and replant the crown?

I just read that roots in the ground 2+years are stringy/woody. This
confused me. What do you do to prevent that if you harvest and
replant in Spring? Or does harvesting part of it avoid the
stirnginess?

I also read you should uncover and scrpae the roots once or twice
during the growing season to improve the quality. Anyone do that?

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/