Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Koitoy wrote:

Exactly right! Spawning is one of the primary causes of foam in a
garden
pond. It _is_ a good idea to scoop out the foam.

Oh thank goodness. I had some white foam in the pond today and I am
like- what is wrong? What did I do? I found my first Koi baby today.
Amongst the 100 black baby comets he stands out. He is only about 3/4
of an inch long. He is white with a big red polka dot on his back. He
must be a Koi right? All my other babies stay black for what seems a
long time. I am tempted to net him to look for tiny barbs. lol I will
resist the urge.

I don't think you can be certain he's a koi just because of a spot of color.
Goldfish get their color at widely varying ages. But I don't recall seeing
a "big red polka dot" on a 3/4" comet before.
--
derek