Old 03-05-2005, 02:00 AM
KT

Default Question about amending soil (probably a dumb one!)

The soil here is hard-packed clay. I think I'd need dynamite to plant
anything. I know that if I add organic material it will help a lot,
but if I add inches of manure or compost, doesn't that change the
grade? We had problems with water in our crawl space in the last house
we had, and I don't want to raise the grade so that rain runs back into
the foundation. If I add the organic material, does it break down over
the summer so that the slope of my yard doesn't really change? I hope
this makes sense - I don't know if I am making myself clear. I want
better soil - but I don't want a wet crawl space.