Old 02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
kauhl-meersburg

hello b a e,
that's just the reason I have posted the question that mowing before
blooming didn't help, young shoots appeared manifold like cutting osier,
so my method for this year will be rip out the individuals together with
their roots, not great work as the plants can easily be seen and time is
enough till blooming stadium -
you are right the golden rod takes profit of abandoned land and in my
case where I only undertake mowing those mostly damp areas only once a
year that's an optimal rythm for it -
taking care of those abandoned land is part of measures for preservation
of wild nature / rare species and assistance of middle and late
blooming flowers induces this socalled one-shearing -
until now I considered blackberry as winner of plant concurrency, but
referring to golden rod the game is still open -
what was totally new for me that this plant also deteriorates the soil
as consequence of root exudates, resulting like dense wood soil, fatal
for all other flowers -
so thank you very much for your sympathy and colleagual greetings from a
fan of flowers and insects
kauhl