Old 03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from michelestokes contains
these words:

Sorry, should have added, I was under the impression that peaty soils
have very few nutrients and can remain waterlogged during critical
sowing times - is this correct or am I moaning about something I
shouldn't be? I'm new to gardening and am just going off what I've
read.

Generally correct, but it depends on what the subsoil is. That's why I
suggested sharp sand. The chalk provides lime which grass likes.

You can add sprinklings of lawn fertiliser for the grass.

The beds may need a lot of work though: try double-digging and see if
you bring up any subsoil. Another idea to bear in mind is that crushed
rock can improve the fertility and drainage of poor soils. There's an
experiment in Scotland which is getting spectacular results, and details
should be easily found by googling.

We can't even walk on the soil without risking losing a boot. And pools
of stagnant water that won't drain away can get pretty smelly!

Ah, that's not good. Sounds like you may need to drain it. Is there
anywhere (like a nearby ditch) you could drain to? And, have you any
willows growing nearby? (I could tell you how to construct bush drains
in the east Anglian fashion.)

The only thing that is growing in the surrounding fields is heather, so
I guess we should take a cue from nature. Still want a lawn though, can
anyone suggest the best way to add drainage to the soil?

Sharp sand. Crushed stone, cow/pig/horse/rabbit/ginea-pig manure and
vegetable compost, and the worms those attract will help.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/