Old 03-05-2005, 03:15 AM
fran

Where are you planning on putting the beds? I don't think you need to
be concerned about the grade unless your lot slopes down into the
house. If so, I'd look first into regrading the lot, then into any
flower beds.

Just breaking up the soil to create a bed changes the grade as you are
unpacking a tightly packed bundle. Think of it as opening up
something fluffy that was vacuum-sealed - it occupies a lot more
space once open! If left alone, it will slowly pack back down, but
that may take a few years.

I started with hard-packed clay, too. What I found is that the best
time to dig a new bed is in the spring - the ground is at it's softest
from all the winter precip. This does require some long-range
planning, but saves having to using a pick-ax to break open the soil
(been there, done that).

I only amend the soil if planting tender annuals. Bulbs, day lilies,
irises go straight into unamended soil that has been completely broken
up down to 8" deep. If I need to amend the soil, I just use regular
top soil purchased from Lowe's or Home Depot and mix it into the clay.
I use a ratio of 1" top soil to 8" clay. The only place I used peat
moss instead of top soil was in the rose beds.

HTH.

On 2 May 2005 18:00:31 -0700, "KT" wrote:

The soil here is hard-packed clay. I think I'd need dynamite to plant
anything. I know that if I add organic material it will help a lot,
but if I add inches of manure or compost, doesn't that change the
grade? We had problems with water in our crawl space in the last house
we had, and I don't want to raise the grade so that rain runs back into
the foundation. If I add the organic material, does it break down over
the summer so that the slope of my yard doesn't really change? I hope
this makes sense - I don't know if I am making myself clear. I want
better soil - but I don't want a wet crawl space.