Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Phisherman

On 2 May 2005 18:00:31 -0700, "KT" wrote:

The soil here is hard-packed clay. I think I'd need dynamite to plant
anything. I know that if I add organic material it will help a lot,
but if I add inches of manure or compost, doesn't that change the
grade? We had problems with water in our crawl space in the last house
we had, and I don't want to raise the grade so that rain runs back into
the foundation. If I add the organic material, does it break down over
the summer so that the slope of my yard doesn't really change? I hope
this makes sense - I don't know if I am making myself clear. I want
better soil - but I don't want a wet crawl space.

Hard-packed clay is actually a good thing next to the foundation,
provided the grade slopes away from the house. Watch carefully after
a rainstorm to see where the water puddles. I love gardening, but the
house foundation has a high priority. You can leave a couple feet
untouched next to the foundation and work your planting beds from
there. I do not allow any plant to touch the house and the space
against the foundation allows for a quick and easy monthly termite
inspection by the home owner.