Old 03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
BAC

"lisag" wrote in message

Hi,
This is my first post so please be gentle....

I have a tree that has appeared very close to my house, about 40 cm
from my front wall, I didn't plant it but it appeared a couple of years
ago. It looks like a fruit tree but has never borne any fruit.

It has just started to produce some pink and white flowers though, so I
am wondering if it is maybe a cherry or crab apple - but not too sure.

I am just worried about it being so close to the house, I really want
to keep it as it is healthy and alive and flowering, it is currently
just reaching the bedroom window, so about 4 metres high including the
longest branch, and the thickest part of the trunk, near the ground, is
about 20cm diameter.

Can anyone offer any advice on what it is, and what I should do with
it?

I don't know which species of tree it is, but it sounds pretty vigorous and
there seems a distinct possibility that the root system might exert pressure
on your foundations and any drain services in the vicinity. If you have ever
seen the main root spread of, say, an ornamental cherry tree, you might be
surprised by the extent and thickness of the roots. It's got to be your
decision, of course, but if you are eventually going to have to remove the
tree to protect your house, the sooner the easier.