Old 03-05-2005, 08:04 PM

In article ,
P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
schreef
The most persistent weeds I have in my urban garden are Campanula
rapunculoides (I call it the Bellflower From Hell),

***
Good thing you are not living here, as here it is protected by law, and you
should get fined for even picking a flower!
PvR

Gosh, that's amazing! It's a constant battle for me he Woman vs
Bellflower. Mowing doesn't keep it out of the lawn. Mulching doesn't
keep it out of the flower beds. I can't even get it out of the
vegetable garden because it produces all these fine underground runners
as fragile as bean sprouts, and every tiny bit makes a new plant. And
any that set seed, set gazillions per plant.

I understand the roots of the related C.rapunculus are edible, and it
was once domesticated as the vegetable "rapunzel", now known mostly
from the fairy tale. Maybe I should start eating them, but since we
are such enemies it might try to poison me! ;-)