Old 03-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Rod

On Mon, 2 May 2005 13:09:32 +0000, lisag
wrote:

lisag Wrote:
Hi,
This is my first post so please be gentle....

I have a tree that has appeared very close to my house, about 40 cm
from my front wall, I didn't plant it but it appeared a couple of years
ago. It looks like a fruit tree but has never borne any fruit.

It has just started to produce some pink and white flowers though, so I
am wondering if it is maybe a cherry or crab apple - but not too sure.

I am just worried about it being so close to the house, I really want
to keep it as it is healthy and alive and flowering, it is currently
just reaching the bedroom window, so about 4 metres high including the
longest branch, and the thickest part of the trunk, near the ground, is
about 20cm diameter.

Can anyone offer any advice on what it is, and what I should do with
it?

That is a lot of growth for a couple of years. I guess you haven't
been in that house for very long. My second guess is that somebody may
have cut down an old tree below ground level so a prospective buyer
wouldn't be scared off. So I suggest you have a poke around up to 20
cms or so deep and see if you can find evidence of a cut off stump.
The picture isn't good enough to be sure but it does look a lot like
an apple of some sort - in which case it would probably be less
damaging than many other trees. In any case if it is as I suspect the
remains of an old tree then it's likely any damage has already been
done and the house hasn't fallen down..............yet ;~))

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.