Old 03-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Rod

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:14:33 +0000, michelestokes
wrote:

Sorry, should have added, I was under the impression that peaty soils
have very few nutrients and can remain waterlogged during critical
sowing times - is this correct or am I moaning about something I
shouldn't be? I'm new to gardening and am just going off what I've
read.

We can't even walk on the soil without risking losing a boot. And pools
of stagnant water that won't drain away can get pretty smelly!

The only thing that is growing in the surrounding fields is heather, so
I guess we should take a cue from nature. Still want a lawn though, can
anyone suggest the best way to add drainage to the soil?

Take Rusty's advice, then add some shade and shelter and potentially
you have a garden to die for. Rhodos, Camellias, Magnolias, Acers,
Embothrium, Meconopsis, Cornus, Amelanchier, Heathers,
How long have you got?

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.