Old 03-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Tim Tyler

Harry Ziman hziman at clara dot co dot uk wrote or quoted:

We have a couple of garden fountains - the type with two or three scallops,
water overflows each one into the one below and with a "hidden" pump in the
bottom scallop to pump water up to the top again.

My question is about the winter - is it necessary to remove the pumps to
avoid them from being frozen or do they survive freezing?

How deep is the pond? Usually the surface freezes first - and only
in shallow ponds does the whole pond freeze solid.
--