Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Kay

In article , John
writes
The recent thread on Pond Clarifiers reminded me that I meant to ask:
is it possible to buy sticklebacks to put into your garden pond? And if
so, What Does The Panel Think about 'em?

Great fun. Breed happily. The male makes a 'nest' taking little bits of
pond weed to make a nest on the pond bottom, then hangs around showing
off to females.

Male in breeding 'plumage' is quite fancy, with bright red tum.

p.s. A supplementary: once, we had a couple of goldfish in the pond
(they eventually passed on). At times we suspected them of eating
tadpoles, but we could never prove it.

yes. They're carnivorous.

That was one reason I didn't get
any more goldfish (sticklebacks would be too small anyway to eat tads).

True. Ours cohabited well with frogs, but once we started getting newts
we lost our sticklebacks.
--
Kay