Old 03-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Phil L

John wrote:
:: The recent thread on Pond Clarifiers reminded me that I meant to
:: ask: is it possible to buy sticklebacks to put into your garden
:: pond? And if so, What Does The Panel Think about 'em?
::
There are several types of stickleback, some of them make nests, all males
are territorial[1] - the males will guard their nest, constantly
re-arranging it and chasing off any other fish which gets too near, even
attacking a pencil if dipped into the pond near his nest.

:: I know I could just phone up a local aquatics supplier or two, but
:: it's the range of opinions in News Groups that we like, ain't it.
::
:: John
::
:: p.s. A supplementary: once, we had a couple of goldfish in the pond
:: (they eventually passed on). At times we suspected them of eating
:: tadpoles, but we could never prove it. That was one reason I
:: didn't get any more goldfish (sticklebacks would be too small
:: anyway to eat tads).

Sticklebacks will devour tadpoles like there's no tomorrow, along with
anything else that moves in the pond including small fry of other fish,
insects and worms - if you want to encourage frogs and toads you are wasting
your time with sticklebacks - they are natural predators.

[1] if you put a dozen stickles in a glass aquarium, they will shoal
together for a short time and then they will take up residence in a certain
place, any other (males) which venture near risk serious injury and very
often death after being stabbed repeatedly with upward thrusts of the
spines.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.