Old 04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
\Fragile Warrior\ Volfie

"Mark Herbert" wrote in message
In article ,
"\"Fragile Warrior\" Volfie" wrote:

Holy cow, the hummingbirds are already here in central Indiana and we've
been having very cold nights! Is there anything I can do to help out the
little guys besides making sure my feeder is full with fresh food
everyday?

If you are inclined to use pesticides to kill aphids, hold off until
insect food sources become more abundant. Hummingbirds love to eat
aphids and easily get sick from ingesting even small amounts of
pesticides.

Giselle (I'd knit them little ponchos but they won't stay still long
enough
to be sized)

It wouldn't hurt to leave little pieces of string and cotton and fluffy
stuff stuck on a fence or tree to provide them nest-building materials
if they choose to settle down.

Thanks, I'll try that. No pesticides in my yard. What survives, survives
without my help.

Will they be alright at night when they have to nest? It's only getting
into the lower 30s but I worry about them at night. I'd leave a light on
all night as a heat source (like we do in the hen house when it gets real
cold) but I know they wouldn't hang around it anyway.

Giselle (poor little guys -- I guess the last heat wave confused them, too)