Old 03-05-2005, 09:20 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef
Gosh, that's amazing! It's a constant battle for me he Woman vs
Bellflower. Mowing doesn't keep it out of the lawn. Mulching doesn't
keep it out of the flower beds. I can't even get it out of the
vegetable garden because it produces all these fine underground runners
as fragile as bean sprouts, and every tiny bit makes a new plant. And
any that set seed, set gazillions per plant.

I understand the roots of the related C.rapunculus are edible, and it
was once domesticated as the vegetable "rapunzel", now known mostly
from the fairy tale. Maybe I should start eating them, but since we
are such enemies it might try to poison me! ;-)

***
Actually it is not extremely rare here, but some of the /Campanula/'s are,
and the government decided it was easier to protect all of them rather than
only some. Neither the general public nor the police are all that likely to
be able to tell them apart.
PvR

I am just now reading a little about /Amherstia nobilis/, a species that is
presumed to be extinct in the wild, but extremely widely planted. Something
of a paradox there, and not an isolated case.