Old 04-05-2005, 04:13 AM
La Vie Dansante

Thanks. I sent the photos to before I found the
following on their web site:

"Are the color variations in indian paintbrush (Castilleja indivisa) a
matter of genetic mutation or minerals in the soil? I say it's genetic and
the rest of the family says it's environmental.

Answer: Congratulations! You are right that the color variations of Indian
paintbrush (Castilleja indivisa) are due to genetics. "Normal" color
variations range from carmine to brick red to salmon. Less common are
yellow- and white-flowered individuals. While soil conditions can have a
small effect on flower color, the variations you are seeing are genetic in
origin."

I'm kind of surprised that no one is breeding these variations. They really
stand out among the "normally" colored flowers.

escape wrote in message
On Tue, 03 May 2005 22:16:21 GMT, "La Vie Dansante"

opined:

I seeded some Indian/Texas Paintbrush a few years back and some new

plants
growing near the house seemed to have spontaneously mutated and are
producing colors like yellow, rose and bright orange (pics he

http://www.iuploads.com/free_image_h...te/paintbrs.jp
) Is this a common occurrence? I've never seen these colors in the wild
before.

Please reply here, address is invalid.

I have never seen this happen, but I would urge you to forward your

photo's to
The Ladybird Wildflower Research Center immediately.