Old 04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
MC

I can't see any bugs at all ... do I need to get out the magnifying glass?
My eyesight is pretty good and I can't see any bugllies on the leaves at all

Cheers,
MC

"jim" wrote in message
"MC" mcathomalidotcom wrote in message
Thanks Jim,

I can't see any bugs AT ALL on the trees though?! I did have some leaf

miner
issues previously, but I used Len's homemade white-oil and this seemed to
get rid of them.

You don't suppose that the white oil has reacted badly with the tree and

the
tips have simply fallen off???

Cheers for any further suggestions,
MC

"jim" wrote in message
"MC" mcathomalidotcom wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a lime, lemon and orange tree that have been in the ground for
year
and evrytime they start to get a few new growing tips (and I get
really
excited) they seem to get tipped by something?!

Hence, they are still very small and quite compact - my missus reckons
they
were mis-labelled at the nursery and are dwarf varieties! LOL

The ground they are on is quite hard/clay type soil, so that doesn't
help,
although I did dig the hole over quite well and planted with plenty of
good
compost and mulch around the base.

Any ideas on what is taking the tips off the trees and/or how I can

stop
it?

Cheers,
MC

Harlequin bugs are notorious for attacking citrus, they suck the sap
out
of
new growth and it withers. Hard buggers to get rid of, you can either
spray
but need to thoroughly to get them as they hide under the leaves. I do

it
the tried and true way. Firstly you need goggles and rubber gloves and

old
clothes or overalls and a pair of tongs, (these bugs when you threaten
them
they squirt and acidic and very smelly liquid at you) have a bucket of
water
handy and when you catch them drop them in it and drown them,
eventually
you
will get them all, do a little bit each day.

It sure sounds like Harlequin bugs, they are hard to see when young as
they
are the same colour as the leaves and as they mature they change colour.
You
really have to look for them carefully.