Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 PM

In article ,
kauhl-meersburg wrote:
hello bae (I take this for your name),

It's my initials. In this context I am embarrassed to admit that my
surname is Erlebacher, because my German is so minimal (also my French).

give me some time to answer seriously your well-grounded details, it's
just too unexpected reading golden rod has to be protected against
eurasian invaders, I must at first realize it and then I'll come back -

I don't think I have been clear enough for someone who is not a native
English speaker. I was trying to make a joke -- imagining us, each
with a piece of land covered with similar flora, you trying to get the
American invaders out to protect the European plants, and me trying
to get the Eurasian plants out to protect the American one!

Goldenrod competes well with even the more invasive Eurasian flora
here, so I am not surprised it can be a pest in Europe.

for the moment it's an interesting challenge to just find out the
statistical number of digged out stalks over regrowing ones to reduce
them gradually - cutting in any form and at any time does not prevent
regeneration in our modest climate -

Yes. Please let me know how this works out for you. Of course,
goldenrod produces a lot of seed, so even if you prevent your plants
from blooming, there will be a lot of seed already in the soil and
blowing in from elsewhere.

concerning allelopathy I agree this phenomenon is rarely treated but I
promise you to dig out my files regarding this topic (for a quick
commentary it's to hard for me to translate it comprehensibly) -
just one try: "over the years golden rod establishes widespread clones
of vegetatively produced sprouts (rametes), which over a long time are
in relation one to another to exchange water and nutritive material"
(you got it?) -

Yes. It spreads vegetatively, making large patches of many plants which
can assist each other by exchanging food and water. You may be able to
use this to your benefit, since herbicides may be spread by this method:
applying herbicide to the large, visible plants, may also kill the smaller
ones that are harder to find.

and again a source in literatu Werner/Bradbury/Gross, the biology of
canadian weeds 45.solidago canadensis L. - Can. J. Plant Sci. 60, 1393 -
1409 - could you get a copy?

Yes. I'll look it up when I get a chance.

so much for today, meanwhile greetings from a beekeeper (among other)

As a beekeeper you may not want to be such an enemy of goldenrod. It's
a very good honey plant. In eastern Ontario beekeepers take off all the
honey when the goldenrod begins to bloom, and the bees fill their hives
with winter stores of goldenrod honey. It's a dark amber honey with a
strong, but not unpleasant taste. (I kept bees for a few years, but got
tired of competing with the black bears.)