Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Neil Tonks
writes

If this refers to the Waste Management (England and Wales) Regulations 2005,
then DEFRA's "Question and answer" document includes:

Question:- Can I give manure and slurry to a householders for use on their
gardens?

Answer:- Yes - householders would not need to register the exemption [from
control] for manure and slurry in order to benefit from it.

That says 'give', so does ''sell' exclude them?

So from this, it seems that supplying manure to gardeners will be exempt
from the new controls. Supplying to nurseries, smallholders etc. may be
different but even so the regulations seem to say that the use of manure as
a fertiliser is not considered to be waste disposal and therefore not
controlled, provided the receiver registers with the Environment Agency and
a few other conditions are met (such as not storing more than 1,250 tons of
it any time!)

Both the gardeners who I spoke to on Monday have gardens of more than 5
acres and one has a trailer load of muck every week, so he may well
store quite a sizeable amount. He has a lot of trees and woodlands etc
so can use the stuff once rotted.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy